Sunday, April 7, 2013

Spring Fever Sayings!

I thought that for today's Blog, we could venture off into a little different excursion than normal. I'd like to explore some common "sayings" in our society & where they originated from. Ewe might be surprised, as I was, as Ewe discover "Truth Versus Fiction".


Inquiring minds want to know!(Where did the "sayings" come from)

Did Ewe say, " AS Old as the Hills" ?
Since I retired in June, 2012, I've been more susceptible to our first saying.The first saying, Ewe are as "Old as the Hills", is a common expression that is traceable to the Bible. "Old as the Hills" can be traced back to the Book of Job, where one of Job's friends, Eliphaz, asked Job a question in the midst of his suffering. In Job 15:7, he asks," Art thou the first man that was born? Or wast thou made before the hills?" Eliphaz was attempting to convince Job that God's purposes are sometimes bigger than our own understanding!


I'm so old it's making my horns curl!

I'm so old that I remember when Moses was a Private in the Egyptian army!
 Another common expression we use & hear often, is the saying, "The Blind leading the Blind". Ewe can trace this phrase back to the Bible. It was used by Jesus to describe the Pharisees who were the religious leaders. He stated," Let them alone. They are blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind leads the blind, both will fall into a ditch." Matthew 15:14. Jesus conveyed that Ewe can't lead a person to truth, if Ewe don't understand the truth ewer-self! Ewe will both wind up in a ditch, & there are better ways to be "Hole"y! 


The Blind leading the Blind!
 The last expression that we'll examine today is the saying about a  "Wolf in Sheep's clothing". This metaphor can be traced to the Bible in the Book of Matthew. Jesus, in the Sermon on the Mount,
taught people the importance of choosing the narrow gate, because the road to destruction was so broad & wide. He warned them to beware of the messengers who were bringing them the truth. He said, "Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves". He also added that Ewe can "know them by their fruits". This saying also has roots in Aesop's Fables. Aesop told a fable about a wolf that used a sheep's fleece he found, to get closer to his prey.This was a "Baa-D" move for the prey.


I am a wolf in Wolf's Clothing!
I'm waiting to meet someone for LUNCH!

I don't think they recognize me! I'll try not to Drool!
 Sheep are commonly seen in the Bible as symbols of needy creatures, that need to depend upon a Shepherd. It's a beautiful picture of God caring for His people.

I Depend on my SHEPHERD!

 As Ewe travel throughout Ewer day, it's comforting to know that the Good Shepherd is traveling with Ewe, every step of the way.!


 "The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want". Ps.23:1

1 comment: